Monday, September 26, 2011

An Interview: Denys Parker, aka 18 Carat Affair


18 Carat Affair is one of the most unique projects in the Kansas City music scene. The work of  Denys Parker, the 18K albums don't sound like a soundtrack from the 80s as much as they sound like a soundtrack to the 80s. Denys was nice enough to talk music with me.




Who from KC are you listening to right now?


CVLTS and Umberto down in Lawrence. The Jorge Arana Trio have some amazing music, it reminds me of "Bitches Brew". New music pops up here and there, I'm not out much to keep tabs.

What national/non-KC acts are you listening to?

Recently I've been infatuated with Topographic Maps. His music is a difficult shape and unique. James Ferraro's Night Dolls With Hairspray, Ford & Lopatin's Channel Pressure, Com Truise's Galactic Melt (amazing tones). Other than that I keep my ears in the past. Salsoul disco, TRAX house music, 80's Boogie/Funk/Soul.. That's where I grab most my influence.

Why is Kansas City a hip-hop town?


I don't know. (laughter) Tech Nine's empire.

What aspect of Kansas City shapes your music the most?


I went to school at UMKC. Studied jazz composition / engineering in a studio. Other than that, not much.

The Life of Vice is fantastic. Your music as a whole reminds me of staying up too late in the 80s. How big is nostalgia for you with this, and what else keeps this project going for you?


I like jingles, muzak and other forms of subconscious sound. 80s television and music culture had more catch and variety. I approach recording through improvisation. I'll have a cassette filled with jingles and overdub my machines and synthesizers, which ends in a nostalgic collage of sound.


The track "Leisure Principle" manipulates (or duplicates) the sounds/samples of "Passion," but the results are quite menacing. Is there a narrative from 60/40 through Life of Vice, and how do you think 18 Carat Affair is evolving as a whole?

That track was a 16 second section of a longer recording. The similarity comes from the chord structure, but the two songs are different. An 18K album comes from selecting songs from an array of 45min cassette recordings. Most the songs have a unique similarity but are approached and processed differently. There's a guiding direction, but no narration. Vocal takes consist of improvised singing over the texture. The listener gets to hear instant creativity instead of planned and marketed sounds.

You call this an art/music project on your bandcamp page. Are their artistic mediums you work in?

The premise of that statement relates to the music. I create music as a painter paints. Music and it's possibilities are endless.

Have you/have you considered playing live with 18 Carat Affair? Would it translate easier into
live creations instead of playing album tracks?


I recently bought some new gear to help me play live. The way I've recorded makes it tricky to play live. I would like to incorporate the "on-spot" ideal with shows.

Are there any other projects you're considering?


I'm working on a new album, a VHS only release, and some compositions for film. Live shows will be played soon.

Thanks again to Denys. Check 18 Carat Affair out, I'd be interested to hear what others think of it.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete